Thursday, January 5, 2012

More murals

Murals painted in New York, Kuwait






This first mural, painted in my apartment on Fifth Avenue and Ninth Street, NYC, owes its inspiration to Jabberwocky,the nonsense poem from Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, as well as a verse written by Joshua Persky, "Jungle joggers, and tiger taxis, and slithery sneaker snakes"-a perfect description of New York, circa 1985.

Three views of the same living room wall in my penthouse suite in Maydan Hawalli, a suburb of Kuwait. Because I could see the sun every morning from my balcony, as well as the waters of the Arabian Gulf, I chose the theme of a "sun-fish."
During Ramadan of 2004, I was in another apartment, so on a different wall I painted this mural, using laytex paint. I was trying to fast during the day, so to keep from eating, I painted. It worked for a few days. The design is of a mosque, based on a silkpainting done by an Englishwoman.

No comments: